[FFmpeg-devel] Does any one have some material on on2 VP7 or VP8?

Kostya kostya.shishkov
Sat Jun 6 19:17:00 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 11:29:10AM -0400, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 10:37 AM, zhihang wang<zhihang.wang at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The current version of ffmpeg doesn't support these formats.

At least I don't get those letters about RealVideo anymore.

> Last I recall On2 VP8 didn't exist yet, so it's rather hard to support that.

Why? On2 site features a nice demo on how VP8 performs (and makes
x264-encoded source look more like a bad h.263 encoder instead).
Fortunately, it's not completed and released yet.

> VP7 is highly proprietary and, unlike VP6, practically nobody cares
> about it (even On2 themselves), so it isn't worth reverse-engineering.

Same notion about VP4.