[FFmpeg-devel] release

Robert Swain robert.swain
Wed Jan 28 11:59:33 CET 2009

2009/1/28 Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx>:
> Mike Melanson wrote:
>> Jai Menon wrote:
>>> On that note, it might be good to list out what exactly the
>>> "volunteers" would be required to do.
>>> I'm guessing its more complicated than just labeling bugs on roundup
>>> to release milestones and tracking them.
>>
>> I want about 95% test coverage in FATE.
>>
>> Steven/Dashcloud: Are you reading? I know you were making a list of
>> release tasks.
>
> Here's that list I mentioned:
>
> Ideas for a potential FFmpeg release:
>
> enough tests in FATE to cover all mainstream formats

So you've done H.264, right? Any progress on AAC conformance tests?
You only need to include what we support for the moment. More can be
added as features are added.

> for all lists in multimedia wiki, integrate them into the wiki

What does this mean?

> add old-style Vorbis audio twocc's to list so they play natively- warn
> if anyone tries to use those for encoding
> get the Blu-Ray/HDDVD audio patches in
> finish testing all the uncommon audio codecs
> finish testing all the uncommon video codecs
> add any new fourcc's/audio twocc's
> make sure there are no known crashers

fuzzing?

> comb IRC logs, and add new entries to FAQ based on that

I think a wiki is very conducive to documentation. ffmpeg.org has no
wiki. We could either add a wiki to the site, or maybe ffmpeg.org
should have a link to an FFmpeg section on the multimedia wiki.
Comments?

> test all documentation examples, correct if needed
> sort through bugtracker, update bugs as needed

This can be somewhat handled during the bug squashing weekend.

> possibly 2 week release cycle
>     write to other media projects and talk to them about their release
> cycles
>     write to WINE, and ask about the 2 week release cycle

What do we need to ask them?

> try to get more presets
>     xvid
>     theora
>     dirac

I can do this. I think the Xvid interface needs updating with some
missing options anyway. But, it may be better to write presets for the
internal codecs. And, what about always loading the
codec-default.ffpreset so that we have per codec defaults?

>    devices:
>    xbox360
>    ps3

I think all that is needed is to set the level to 4.1. After that, any
h.264 will do.

>    ipod- check that it still works

Indeed, I haven't checked the presets to see if anything's changed in
the past couple of years with the state of iPods. Does someone have a
current iPod who can test?

> talk with packagers, distributions ?
>    maybe a mini-guide for them?

Good idea. And maybe request that they tell us if and why they're
going to cripple (disable anything in) the packages.

> make a pass through samples archive, test to make sure nothing broken,
> everything working as it should

Rob