[FFmpeg-devel] Samples Collection Reorganisation

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Jan 11 01:18:44 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 03:20:35PM +0100, Ivo wrote:
> A few minor additions:
>
> On Friday 09 January 2009 00:32, Ivo wrote:
> > * Files uploaded in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 are in their respective
> > directories named after the year itself. Either the one that's marked
> > ready-for-archive or the other one if it's not sorted out yet (i.e. a
> > text file accompanying foo.avi has to be called foo.txt, removing dupes,
> > et cetera).
> >
> > * Files related to FFmpeg roundup issues and marked as such (i.e. either
> > the directory or the filename contains the issue number) are in the
> > issues directory under ffmpeg.
> >
> > * Files related to MPlayer's bugzilla and marked as such are under
> > issues/mplayer.
> >
> > Note that this _only_ concerns the incoming directory. I have not touched
> > the current samples collection and won't until everything in incoming is
> > sorted out and decently archived.
>
> * Uploaded binary codecs, specs, et cetera, are not in the year directories,
> but in non-av-files.
>
> * In the unlikely case that you're looking for files from before 2006, those
> are in the appropriate year directories too (I found files dating back to
> 2002).
>
> * The ls-lR.bz2 file is updated regularly, so you can search with bzless.

Id like to add a little comment about the ftp reorganization.
It approximately doubled the time i need to find a sample. Excelent work.
Basically incoming has become a bigger pain than rapidshare and co.

Let me explain it
What is and was:
people upload a randomly named file in a random directory and sometimes
post a link but at least post the filename & directory.

Previously the link worked, or at least one could find the file using the
filename and directory very quickly (aka wget .../directory/filename)

Now with the random moving this is not possible anymore, one has to go
and look in 3 directories and then look in some index ...

What should have been is that symlinks should have been added but ABSOLUTELY
NEVER should a file be renamed or moved without leaving a nequally named
symlink in its place unless the file is actually deleted.
If someone wants the initial file to be sanely placed its the users
responsibility to place it sanely, and this can be enforced through
technical means if someone volunteers to do it.

If a file is moved behind the users back the user will point everyone
who asks to the wrong place

The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend
to be. -- Socrates