[FFmpeg-devel] [RELEASE] freeze

Roman V. Shaposhnik rvs
Mon Feb 9 17:22:54 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 17:18 +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > > The idea is not to halt development, but to refocus it on bug and
> > > regression fixes.  There is no risk that anybody might get bored
> > > during the next two weeks.  We have plenty of work for everybody
> > > left.
> >
> > Can I, please, suggest a fork/branch tagged with "releaseXX" that
> > is supposed to accumulate all the bug fixes and get eventually
> > released with the HEAD moving along as nothing happened?
>
> I'd like to keep people focussed on the trunk.  It will not stabilize
> more if less people work on it.

I've seen project managers try that tactic. In my experience it is
proved to be less than ideal. Here's why: on one hand people won't
just work on fixing bugs unless bugs get assigned to them. If they
get assigned, however, it is relatively unimportant where the fixes
go to the HEAD or to the "releaseXX" branch. Just my 2c.

> The branch will be created some time next week.

Good. So starting from next week HEAD is going to be back
to an unrestricted business?

Thanks,
Roman.