[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] avoid non-threadsafe localtime, gmtime

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sat Feb 7 15:52:42 CET 2009

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 04:09:19PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> what with my original suggestion of ignoring summer time and just
> implementing our own localtime?

I still can't see the point of a broken implementation, nor can I see
any use of such a function, particularly since it will not be
interoperable with the system's time_t either.

> or for the less sane, just extract the summer time switches automatically
> from localtime() ? (zero maintaince ...)

I have no idea what you are getting at.
/usr/share/zoneinfo is about 7 MB, a better implementation can sure safe
a bit but that is still a huge amount of information, duplicating that
sure is not an option (it is not anyway, since someone might be using a
custom time zone, even if you do not like that whole timezone system
currently in use purposely breaking it is not an option IMO).
I am absolutely serious when I claim: there is no way around the
system-provided localtime, except completely dropping all support for
non-UTC and time_t (which means an API change).

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger