[FFmpeg-devel] lavfi state of affairs

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Feb 5 21:21:30 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 08:48:08PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Tuesday 2009-02-03 13:57:47 +0100, Diego Biurrun encoded:

> > > I don't really care my only argument is that there are users out there
> > > who still uses vhook. Giving them an official release where it was last
> > > supported/working could be nice.
> >
> > I agree with Benjamin.  I'll add a note to the release notes that
> > mentions that vhook will go away immediately after the release.
>
> (Sorry to chime in just now, I had some (dis)connettivity problems in
> the last days...).
>

> What about to drop VHOOK just after *all* its functionality is
> implemented in lavfi? That would be definitively nicer towards the
> users.

iam VERY VERY VERY VERY strongly against this
that way we would in 5 years still not have half of vhook ported to lavfi

look at swscale & imgconvert/resample, NO-ONE is rewriting the few lines
of GPL code. If i would have ignored people and droped imgconvert/resample
someone would have rewriten that one file in less than a week.

people arent crying "ohh no its just 99% LGPL please give us more time
to work on the 1%" there where in reality "ohh no its just 99% LGPL i
dont want to spend a day rewriting the 1%". But really the last is
that people do NOT want to rewrite it and they wont unless there is a
reason for them to.
I dont care about the license so i wont work on it others as well either
dont care or if they do care have no reason at all to do it as long as
the old code is still useable with svn.

The price though is payed by every devel as they have to deal with 2
scalers and soon 2 video filter APIs ...

Into a blind darkness they enter who follow after the Ignorance,
they as if into a greater darkness enter who devote themselves
to the Knowledge alone. -- Isha Upanishad