[FFmpeg-devel] Voting results for NGO

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Mon Dec 21 17:20:12 CET 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> ronald will be trying to contact the owner of ffmedia ...
> maybe he doesnt need it and is willing to transfer it to us, if that
> fails i guess we will have to vote about which other domain to use.

The current owner is "domainsbyproxy", which is an "anonymizer", i.e.
you reg with them, they reg the domain and you stay anonymous. Since
the domain is unused, I read this more as a "I own 1000 domains and
sell them for $$$$%". I called them and they indeed offer a service to
transfer domain names, it costs $70 for the service, but the actual
domain might cost several-$1000. I don't think that's a good
investment at this point.

We can simply go by the name anyway and host it on ffmpeg.org and
mplayerhq.hu for now. I would actually be in favour of this, so that
at least the process keeps moving. Later on, we might be able to
negotiate a better deal with the current owner. Alternatively, we take
a different domain for the hosting of the NGO under the current name
(e.g. ffmultimedia.org, or so), at least for now, or (worst case)
another name for the NGO...

Ronald