[FFmpeg-devel] Voting results for NGO

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Dec 20 01:44:46 CET 2009

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 11:45:58PM +0100, Ivo wrote:
> On Saturday 19 December 2009, 21:33:35, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> > So I hereby declare "FFmedia" (Foundation for Free Multimedia) the
> > winner of the vote. I'll try to get registration going Monday. Problem
> > is that "ffmedia.com/org/net/info" are not available, so we'll have to
> > host the relevant foundation pages on our own domains. If people
> > object to the vote, please raise these before Monday. (I'm taking
> > Diego's "let's move" as a "I will not object".)
>
> ffmultimedia.org/com/us are free. Not 100% the same, so let's vote ;)

ronald will be trying to contact the owner of ffmedia ...
maybe he doesnt need it and is willing to transfer it to us, if that
fails i guess we will have to vote about which other domain to use.

The open question is if we should do a vote about the name
"Foundation for Free Multimedia"
as well in case we cannot get ffmedia.org
If yes then things have to be postponed
and this is the point i do _need_ input on currently, should we move
forward with registering "Foundation for Free Multimedia" if we cant
get ffmedia.org or do another round of discussions, name+domain suggestions
and vote?
If people are fine with "Foundation for Free Multimedia" no matter which
domain then there is no reason to wait and ronald can move forward with it.
else we would only move forward with the registration if we can get
ffmedia.org.

And iam sorry for this embarrasing messup on our side, i & ronald thought
ffmedia was available but neither personally checked it ...

Also if there will be another vote, then keep in mind, we need a free domain
and name that contains the word foundation. The third part, that is how we
call it is something we can do as we see fit and change as often as we like
just the domain & official name needs to be choosen.

I wish the Xiph folks would stop pretending they've got something they
do not.  Somehow I fear this will remain a wish. -- M?ns Rullg?rd