[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] FFmpeg Foundation

Adrian Stutz adrian
Sat Dec 5 17:50:05 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 12:58 AM, Ronald S. Bultje <rsbultje at gmail.com>wrote:

> * Free Media Tech / freemediatech.org
> * FFMTech (Foundation for Free Media Technologies)
> * FFmedia (Foundation for Free Media)
> * OMF (Open Media Foundation)
> * FFm.org (Foundation for Free Media)
> * FFmpeg Foundation

I prefer clean names with no fancy wordings (i.e. ".org", "mpeg" or even
abbreviations like "tech"). Also, since the foundation is not limited to
FFmpeg, the name shouldn't contain the name FFmpeg.

Of the names up there, I prefer OMF: It's direct, simple and functional.
Though, it errs on the side of being too generic.

Therefore, I propose following variants using the FF prefix for what it
stands for (or at least what Wikipedia says it stands for):
* FFMF (Fast Forward Multimedia Foundation)
or
* FFOMF (Fast Forward Open Multimedia Foundation)

What it has going for itself:
* The full name actually makes sense (to bring [open] multimedia forward)
* It has got no distracting frills
* Simple and functional

Greetings
Adrian