[FFmpeg-devel] libx264 (no-)mbtree parameter

Erik Slagter erik
Fri Dec 4 21:55:59 CET 2009

On vr, 2009-12-04 at 12:44 -0800, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:

> It was never "experimental"; it was always default after it was committed.

Then interpreted it that way because it doesn't yet implement b-pyramid.

> x264 has received many performance improvements in the past year, so
> clearly it will be faster today than it used to be--even with MB-tree.

This afternoon I found mbtree is even faster than no-mbtree (in my very
selective test), which I didn't expect and also is against the pieces of
texts I found on the matter.

My point: if this is backed by the experience of others, the addition of
a no-mbtree option in libavcodec might not even be worth it. Although
I'd be happy to code the three lines ;-)