[FFmpeg-devel] Intel IPP H264 encoder

Erik Van Grunderbeeck erik
Fri Dec 4 01:58:11 CET 2009

> Tested compare
>
> o) X264, snapshot-20091017-2245, build 77, MingW compiled
> o) Intel IPP 6.1 H264, libs 5.1 (my license), Intel compiler 11 compiled.
>
> Encoded as base profile, level 13, no b frames (I know, but that's the
ipod
> format and most people seem to encode for that).
>
> o) X264: 2.32 seconds (mean average on 5 runs)
> o) Intel IPP: 2.25 seconds (mean average on 5 runs)

>Settings?  Samples?  Input?  Output?  There's zero information in your
post.

Output: base profile, level 13, no b frames.
Input: wmv, 320x240

You can call that zero information I suppose. There's also zero information
in your question. What does settings mean? Samples? (bitrate? Quality?
Container? The amount of sugar in my coffee?)

> is that it is thus possible to build a full LGPL dll version of FFMpeg
> with H264/Xvid encoding supported. No excuse for anyone to fail GPL.

>So instead of GPL, we should use a proprietary encoder?  Talk about
>out of the frying pan and into the fire.

>I'm quite sure that IPP is not licensed under the LGPL, especially
>given that you talk about "your license" of it.

>Dark Shikari

I am just passing information, not stating the one and only precious x264
encoder should be replaced.

Your (L-)GLP license statement makes little sense btw (as the IPP encoders
do not need to be compiled into the Libav* dll's. Unless you want to take
"viral" to a new level). "My license" refers to the part one purchases from
Intel (the binaries).

Sigh. Trying to suggest/state anything on this mailing list that touches the
[zealot] opinions of people is hopeless.

Lighten up. Go have a smoke or something.

Erik