[FFmpeg-devel] Google Summer of Code participation

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Apr 8 19:14:57 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 05:25:39PM +0200, Thilo Borgmann wrote:

> Michael Niedermayer schrieb:
>>
>> you move variables from the context into local variables, the code does
>> not
>> look like the values become irrelevant after the function ...
>>
> The VideoState is a typdef within ffplay.
> The attributes .audio_pkt_data and .audio_pkt_size are used nowhere else
> than inside this function (and I also grep'ed every file in the code tree
> not to miss some dirty tricks...).
> They can be deleted from the VideoState struct without consequences.
>
> The following patch does this and everything work (compiling, testing with
> a movie file... make test seems to be broken at the moment but not caused
> by my issues)
>
> Otherwise, it is a strange problem... in that case, where they are used
> after the function or what breaks?

variables in the context have a different lifetime than local variables,
this has nothing to do with them being used from more than one function

Awnsering whenever a program halts or runs forever is
On a turing machine, in general impossible (turings halting problem).
On any real computer, always possible as a real computer has a finite number
of states N, and will either halt in less than N cycles or never halt.