[FFmpeg-devel] questions on live streaming of h.264 in a FLV container

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Wed Sep 3 21:40:35 CEST 2008

> 1. It seems that the player would require an IDR frame to start, but I
> haven't yet found out how to easily detect an IDR frame.  Does this
> seem necessary or can I start on any keyframe?  I believe I'm
> currently not outputting B-frames, so perhaps x264 is making every
> keyframe an IDR frame?  Or am I getting P-frames which predict from
> frames that preceed the previous keyframe?

x264's policy on IDR frames is that all I-frames are IDR frames unless
there is a scenecut triggered after less than "min-keyint" frames
after the previous IDR frame, in which case a non-IDR I-frame is used
instead.

Dark Shikari