[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Proposal regarding cleaning up our samples collection

Ivo ivop
Wed Nov 5 12:35:01 CET 2008

On Wednesday 05 November 2008 10:35, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 09:30:35 +0100
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > >
> > > Are you expecting bug submitters to follow this procedure? Are are
> > > developers expected to rename uploaded files to the proposed policy?
> > > Or are you going to adapt the bug reporting policy at [1] as well?
> > >
> > > It seems that the already rather high bar [1] for reporting bugs is
> > > raised even higher. I just wanted to ask if you are aware of this and
> > > indeed support this move.

I did not plan on changing the bug reporting policy and/or require uploaders
to follow the new naming convention. Once the tools to classify, rename,
move and create links are in place, it won't be very labourintensive to do
that manually.

> > alot of this could be done automatically by a cronjob ...
> > extracting codecs/container being one
> >
> > uploading through a web form checked by javascript could be considered
> > as well ...
> > all just random ideas ...

This could be something to look into in the future. For starters, I think
it's best to concentrate on cleaning up the current mess and perhaps setup
a cronjob that sends me an e-mail if something is uploaded to incoming/.

--Ivo