[FFmpeg-devel] How to handle compiler warnings

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev
Tue Jan 29 12:27:26 CET 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 1:02 PM, Baptiste Coudurier
<baptiste.coudurier at smartjog.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > The topic has come up again, it's time to discuss the subject.  I
> > propose to try to avoid compiler warnings as much as possible in order
> >
> > - have cleaner code,
> > - have important warnings not be drowned out,
> > - make FFmpeg a programming textbook.
> >
> > This does not include warning fixes that slow things down or obfuscate
> > the code, but if in doubt I personally would err on the side of fixing
> > the warning.
> >

> I wholeheartedly support this and I agree that it must not slow down the
> code.
>
> If this reaches an agreement:
> How should we proceed ? People jumping in and fixing them at sight, or
> maintainers taking care of their files ?

In MPlayer we already had incident. Diego fixed a warning in one way.
Then he finds out that the fix gives different result than the old
code and fixes it in another way. Then he gets flamed because the
warning indicated actual bug and he had (re)committed buggy code, in a
way that hides the warning. The whole issue was about trivial
parenthesis.