[FFmpeg-devel] Filtering clueless-user spam from the lists

Attila Kinali attila
Wed Jan 23 10:26:56 CET 2008

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 01:44:13 +0100
Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 07:43:35PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:

> > All of these are trivial procmail recipes.
>
> yes, and ive even volunteered to write these recipes at some point in the
> past
>
> pester root please ...

And i've said more than once that i don't want to return to
the procmail mess we had on mphq1.

As similar points come up again and again here on the list
i want to make clear that my foremost goal on natsuki is
to keep things simple and traceable. This dictates that
processing of data is well confined and follows a predefined
path with all involved parties logging in the same, deterministic
and _time_ordered_ manner. Passing trough many different programs
that use different ways of labeling mails and using their own
ID is simply not what i call traceable.

Or to put it into another way: Have you ever tried to debug
a mail problem where the report isn't 100% clear, lacks log
entries from the sender side and you have no clue whether it's
your machine or one in between the sender, you and the receiver?

Natsuki produces currently >60MB of log files per day
for the mail subsystem, not including mailman. It is already
a pain to even notice problems before they become visible
to users or track down the cause of "errors".

So, if you want to add some filtering, then you have to
make it fit into the postfix - amavis - mailman framework
without adding yet another step, yet another logfile.

Or you could name a replacement for one of the components
that fits together with the rest and provides the functionality
you want.

			Attila Kinali

PS: It's not that i hate to do work (although i try to keep it to
a minimum as i'm busy with other things), but i want to keep
natsuki a clean and managable system.
                         -- Deed of Morred