[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] possible API for opening external demuxer references

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Wed Feb 27 15:07:25 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 02:44:05PM +0100, Gabriel Fort? wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 02:38:08PM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > currently just a flag probably is good enough, but in case someone is
> > interested in taking things further (maybe even as a way to implement
> > general playlist support in lavf, including rules like "internet
> > playlists can only reference internet files and vice versa"?) here is
> > a first idea of a possible API.
> > Probably it makes little sense without actually implementing things to
> > actually see how suitable it is, but since I already got that far...
>
> it may seem a bit irrelevant here (and other problems need to be
> adressed as well), but I've been thinking for a while about a similar thing
> to open auxiliary streams such as external subtitles files
> (SRT, vob/idx, whatever, ...), to be able to get their frames
> synchronized with the streams contained in the main file.
>
> currently I'm doing this as a hack completely external to libavformat,
> by fiddling with AVFormatContext->streams (quite dirty).
>
> would it be relevant to discuss that in this thread ?

Not to the subject this started out with, and it might be better to keep
such a thing outside of libavformat, but IMO if you have any ideas for
an API extension or things that need to be discussed IMO go ahead, if
you want even in this thread, we will see if it fits.