[FFmpeg-devel] Google Summer of Code 2008

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Tue Feb 26 14:19:35 CET 2008

Hello,
On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 01:54:40PM +0100, Andreas Setterlind wrote:
> On 2/26/08, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > I was think of basically just SSE4 versions of the existing MMX, SSE,
> > > SSE2, and SSE3 optimizations, such as:
> > > - Motion Compensation
> > > - iDCT
> > > - QPel
> > > - iDWT
> > > - MDCT and iMDCT
> > > etc.
> >
> > is the task for the student supposed to be to read the existing optimizations
> > and then figure out if any SSE4 instructions could be used to improve them?
>
> Yes that is what I really meant, only as a qualification task mind
> you, (which specific code would be up to the student/students to
> choose for themselves, leaving a little flexibility and opportunity to
> show that they can take personal initiative).

Is someone going to be able to offer a shell account on a suitable
machine? Or at least someone ready to do the benchmarks?
SSE4 is quite rare still, and while there should be enough other
qualification tasks that it matters little, it tastes a bit of
giving those with money to waste one the latest CPUs an advantage.

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger