[FFmpeg-devel] h264 and Spatial direct Mode, how can I help ?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Apr 13 15:48:35 CEST 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 02:27:23PM +0100, Morfsta wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Fce.Valeins <fce.valeins at libertysurf.fr> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Since svn r11806 and the support mbaff spatial direct I can view
> > broadcast with PAFF and spatial direct mode without core dump. But I
> > have many artifacts, especially when there are movements, as describe in
> > the thread "Stream h264 with FEC".
> >
> > You have a sample of video here :
> >
> > http://www.zshare.net/download/781125504afb51/
> >
> > I'm a newbie in h264 specs but let me help to eliminate these artifacts.
> >
> > What needs to be tested to identify the origin of these artifacts ?
> >

> > What is the best way to start ?

Read h264.c, read the h.264 spec, learn C, find out where the problem is
fix it and send a patch here (and skip what you already did like learning C
hopefully)

[...]
> I'm sorry to say that this has been brought up many times on the list
> by a lot of different people - it seems like the devs aren't
> interested in fixing the problem and implementing H264 decoding to the
> spec. It is a real shame as many people want to use native linux libs
> to view H264 streams and DVB channels. I think if spatial direct was
> fixed up properly we'd be almost there.
>
> I took some of my time out to find, record and upload samples of the
> problem but then all subsequent mailings etc were just ignored. :-(
>
> Sorry to sound defeatist, but don't expect any help or support anytime soon.

You misunderstand things a little
you want it fixed -> you fix it
you dont want it fixed -> you dont fix it
you want someone else to fix it -> you pay someone else to fix it

If you expect us to work for you for free then you have a serious problem
with reality, we are volunteers and we work on what we consider fun. H.264
especially PAFF work is not fun.

Our H264 decoder does not support everything, no h264 decoder does, not
even the reference decoder. If you want some specific feature supported
its up to you to do the work. We will certainly help, awnser questions and
review patches.

Thouse who are best at talking, realize last or never when they are wrong.