[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Sechole in gcc 3.3+ and 4.*

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Apr 7 16:40:17 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 03:25:04PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 03:38:31PM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > [...]
> >> ---
> >> Part 6.5 Expressions:
> >> If an exceptional condition occurs during the evaluation of an
> >> expression (that is, if the result is not mathematically defined or not
> >> in the range of representable values for its type), the behavior is
> >> undefined.
> >> ---
> >>
> >> If the sum of signed variables overflows the above applies. The unsigned
> >> behavior of always reducing mod size (which means the result is always
> >> representable) is described elsewhere.
> >
> > Twos complement addition, subtraction and multiplication are identical to
> > their unsigned counterparts. That is they form in isomorphism relative to
> > them.
> > They are mathematically well defined as +,* in Z/nZ with n=2^bits. And their
> > values are representable, after all the identical opertation called unsigend
> > has them representable.
>
> You're mixing concepts here.  The + operator is defined in terms of
> mathematical addition of the regular kind, no modulus arithmetic.  The
> paragraph quoted above clearly states that values outside the range of
> the type invoke undefined behaviour.  I don't see how it could be much
> clearer.

Well if addition in Z is meant this should be written in the spec, its not
at all obvious as no physical system can perform arbitrary addition in Z.
There always is a pair of numbers which are too large.
What computers actually use is mathematically Z/nZ so its not unreasonable
to assume that this is meant in a specification related to arithmetic on
physical computers.
This is my interpretation of the spec, which may or may not be what the
authors intended.

Democracy is the form of government in which you can choose your dictator