[FFmpeg-devel] Integrating ffprobe into FFmpeg?

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Tue Nov 27 16:01:12 CET 2007

On date Saturday 2007-11-17 15:06:20 +0100, Stefano Sabatini encoded:
> On date Thursday 2007-11-15 14:07:52 +0100, Diego Biurrun encoded:
> > On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 06:08:07PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > > On date Wednesday 2007-11-14 15:43:22 +0100, Alex Beregszaszi encoded:

> > > I originally designed ffprobe to be a part of FF-mpeg (and indeed it
> > > shares code/design with it), and to me it would be still a good idea
> > > to integrate it in FF-mpeg (no code duplication, better integration
> > > with FF-mpeg and easier accessibility for the FF-mpeg users), if the
> > > others maintainers agree and are not too much bothered by the many
> > > problems it still has.
> >
> > I haven't tried it yet, but it sure looks interesting, so I suggest that
> > you send it in.

Hi all,

here it is.

ffprobe is still far from being perfect.

For example it sigsegvs when it tries to read the frames from a file
with RGB555 frames (which maybe depends in a problem in rawdec.c
itself, which doesn't call the get_buffer function defined in
avctx).

Another problem is the way it deals with the with audio packets with
more than one frame inside them.

Another problem is that the -show_files option really reads
informations from the headers, but when coupled with -read_frames it
should detect the requested info (e.g. duration and size) by directly
reading the informations in the frames (and yet I can't find a
satisfying mechanism to do it).

Anyway I think it can be considered still a useful tool, especially
for debugging/understanding tasks, and its inclusion in FFmpeg would
highly simplify its access for FFmpeg users (especially those running
it on Mingw).

Two perl scripts are also included in the ffprobe sourceforge
distribution, which could be added in the ffmpeg tools directory.

Best regards.
--
Stefano Sabatini
Linux user number 337176 (see http://counter.li.org)