[FFmpeg-devel] r9017 breaks WMA decoding on Intel Macs

Patrice Bensoussan patrice.bensoussan
Thu May 31 01:34:12 CEST 2007

On 31 May 2007, at 00:03, Nigel Pearson wrote:

>> I guess we'll get some updated development
>> tools in two weeks with the 10.5 beta anyway.
>
> Are you sure AS will actually be fixed?
> Some people have been waiting since NeXt days!

I have no idea. ;-)

>> But honestly I don't think a lot of people would install
>> different development tools just to compile ffmpeg
>
> True, and neither should we taint the source
> just to accommodate Apple's broken old assembler.
>
> There are other ways, though. We could check
> for the broken AS version in the Makefile, and;
>
> 1) flag an error to the user,

Well... checking for all possible gcc/as bugs doesn't seem like a
good idea to me and pretty impossible.

> 2) default to an un-optimised C version,

Why not...

> 3) copy a pre-assembled version to use,

Might do the trick... although quite ugly in my opinion.

> 4) download a working assembler,

Painful but possible, assuming there is one ;-)

Patrice