[FFmpeg-devel] GPL version matter (was: MMX accelerated DSP functions for VC1/WMV3 decoders)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Jun 30 21:01:29 CEST 2007

Hi

On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 08:51:10PM +0200, Christophe GISQUET wrote:
> Christophe GISQUET a ?crit :
> > + * FFmpeg is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
> > + * modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
> > + * License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
> > + * version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
>
> A mistake here. I didn't plan to add the ", or (at your option) any
> later version." part.
>
> If the strict 2.1-licensing is OK, fine, otherwise, I'd like to withdraw
>  my contribution.
>
> I'd like this to be clarified before going on.

theres something you miss here, and that is the following part of the LGPL
2.1:
  3. You may opt to apply the terms of the ordinary GNU General Public
License instead of this License to a given copy of the Library.  To do
this, you must alter all the notices that refer to this License, so
that they refer to the ordinary GNU General Public License, version 2,
instead of to this License.  (If a newer version than version 2 of the
ordinary GNU General Public License has appeared, then you can specify
that version instead if you wish.)  Do not make any other change in
these notices.

so even without the "(at your option) any later version."
anyone can take your LGPL 2.1 code and change it to GPL 12.3.4

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your
right to say it. -- Voltaire