[FFmpeg-devel] Licensing gray area

Justin Ruggles justinruggles
Tue Jul 17 00:52:43 CEST 2007

mark cox wrote:
> On 17/07/07, Justin Ruggles <justinruggles at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> Michel Lespinasse wrote:
>> that
>> would
>> approach
>>> I was actually quite grumpy about that at the time, though I had not
>>> complained to the list. I'm quite glad you've noticed this and about
>>> the suggestions earlier in the thread.
>

> IMHO, Justin went about this the wrong way. If you are going to re-implement
> existing code under a different licence, you shouldn't even be reading the
> existing code. Perhaps i am jumping the gun and you had permission from the
> original author to use it as a reference. In the future i would keep it a
> secret that you used some other code for reference ;)
> mark

I haven't been using it as a reference, but it appears that Kartikey did
when he wrote the decoder last year.  I have tried to keep my viewing of
the code to a minimum, but when Kartikey referenced a GPL source I felt
that I needed to look deeper into it to find out what other sections are
based upon it.  When I rewrote much of the code (which hasn't been
committed yet) I did not use liba52 as a reference.

-Justin