[FFmpeg-devel] H.264 interlaced PAFF development and donations

Daniel Cardenas Daniel.Car
Mon Jul 2 22:11:36 CEST 2007

Neil Terry wrote:
> As some of you are aware the lack of interlaced PAFF support in the
> H.264 decoder is becoming an increasingly painful problem. Hardware
> H.264 manufacturers have begun mandating the use of PAFF at all times.
> For example Tandberg in their new 8000 series of encoders no longer
> allows users to disable PAFF encoding when using H.264.
>
> The situation will become dire sooner than later as encoder
> manufacturers stop selling the older generation (non-PAFF or PAFF
> optional) encoders and customers begin demanding the newer generation
> (PAFF mandatory) encoders with their advanced features such as
> sub-second delay encoding.
>
> Could the developers knowlegable in this area discuss the scope of
> development needed to add PAFF support, and time required to do this.
>
> Finally my company is prepared to offer a donation (>$2500) to help spur
> PAFF development and make it a project priority. I'm sure many others
> who find themselves in the same situation would donate as well.

I'm wondering if we could do a team approach here.  Michael in the past has said the first step is the read the spec and
then implement the functionality.
How about a game plan that looks like:
1. Someone summarizing what needs to be done from a spec standpoint.
2. Someone design the high level changes that need to be done in the code.
3. Someone codes it.
4. Several of us help test it.
5. We provide feedback on each step.

Daniel