[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] dlopen vs linking for external libraries

Roman Shaposhnik rvs
Tue Feb 27 17:19:07 CET 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 11:11 +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 05:24:20PM -0800, Roman Shaposhnick wrote:
> >
> >   Well, if Linux (and all UNIXes in general) would like to ever be
> > considered as serious contenders for the Desktop crown -- they better
> > start caring about things like how to make software work across
> > distros and how to make it use each distro resources efficiently.
>
> Funny how everybody seems to know what the magic ingredient to the soup
> has to be so that if "Linux" (whatever that may be) drinks it today, it
> will take the "Desktop" tomorrow.

  Perhaps its funny, yes. But I'm pretty sure everybody has a bunch
of personal pet peeves when it comes to managing Linux desktop.
Especially when its not your own desktop you are managing. I want
my mom to use Linux. Unfortunately it turned out she's much more
better off using Mac OS X. Part of the reason is precisely the
magic ingredient I was referring to.

> Also funny that it's always something they have a direct interest in ..

  Come on! The fact that I post from @sun.com has nothing to do with
me being interested in software working across different distributions.
I gave an example of why its needed even in the OpenSource world
and given that Sun is going to OpenSource all of its software, lets
skip arguing about the commercial closed source. It'll just make
our conversation easier (not that it'll make it less off-topic ;-)).

Thanks,
Roman.