[Ffmpeg-devel] [Bug] h264 decoder crash (sample included)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Feb 10 17:45:12 CET 2007

Hi

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 12:43:57PM +0100, Christopher Lux wrote:
> Tom Harper <d.thomas.harper at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > At 08:55 AM 2/7/2007, you wrote:
> >> [h264 @ 0x86074e0]non existing PPS referenced
> >> [h264 @ 0x86074e0]decode_slice_header error
> >> [h264 @ 0x86074e0]non existing PPS referenced
> >> [h264 @ 0x86074e0]decode_slice_header error
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> [h264 @ 0x85f9400]illegal short term buffer state detected
> >> [h264 @ 0x85f9400]concealing 4080 DC, 4080 AC, 4080 MV errors
> >
> > I have seen this result from h264 received from the grandstream
> > gxv-3000 phone also- it supplied a PPS and SPS but for some reason
> > it was declared invalid for the subsequent packets-
>
> Hi,
> is there a possible patch to this, which fixed the crash and the errors in the decoding in such streams? From other experiences these errors occur very often in skyoneHD streams. As is wrote, in an older build (i do not know the exact number) the crash did not occur but there were strong decoding errors at the locations in the stream where the decoder now crashes.

the crash will be fixed when i have time or someone else does
as i said be patient, asking every few days wont speed that up, the decoding
errors, i assume the stream uses PAFF will not be fixed by me, maybe someone
else will but i wont touch the messy h.264 interlacing

if you seriously want PAFF support then your choices are
* implement it yourself, this is not fun the h.264 spec is a mess which
  generally needs to be read 3 times before you understand it, though OTOH
  it doesnt need any magic. knowledge of C and lots of time is all thats
  needed and many people will be happy if you add PAFF support ...
* pay someone else to do it (your chances here are not that bad, as there are
  many people who want PAFF who might contribute some money) but dont expect
  me to be the one doing the PAFF coding ...
* wait and hope that someone else does more then you ...

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities
are wrong. -- Voltaire