[Ffmpeg-devel] WMA encoding and Windows Media Player for Mac OS X

Patrice Bensoussan patrice.bensoussan
Fri Feb 9 00:29:45 CET 2007

On 8 Feb 2007, at 23:05, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 10:37:54PM +0000, Patrice Bensoussan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> All the files encoded by ffmpeg in wma (using wmav1 or wmav2) will
>> open in Windows Media Player for Mac OS X, but you don't hear
>> anything (it only plays silence). The same file seems to play
>> correctly with mplayer or QuickTime with the Flip4Mac codec. Any idea
>> what could be wrong in the encoding which would cause Windows Media
>> Player for Mac OS X to play only silence? The information window in
>> Windows Media player on a converted file shows:
>>
>> audio codec unknown
>> video codec wmav1
>>
>> Am I missing an option, or is this a known bug in ffmpeg?
>> Thanks,
>
> hmmmm :(
> does it work if you mux into .avi ?

Believe it or not, Windows Media Player doesn't play .avi files on
Mac ;-)

> does it work if you -acodec copy a working wma into .asf ?

No, same problem. The interesting thing is when doing this, the
original file shows:

Length: 00:35
Bit Rate: 160 Kbps
Media Type: Audio
Audio Codec: Windows Media Audio V8
Video Codec: Unknown

whereas the .asf generated with -acodec copy shows:

Length: 00:34
Bit Rate: 160 Kbps
Media Type: Audio
Audio Codec: Unknown
Video Codec: wmav2

So the codec info is stored at the wrong place it seems? (video
instead of audio) Not sure this is related though.

> does non-wma audio in asf generated by ffmpeg work?

No. Same problem.

Patrice