[FFmpeg-devel] [DOC] FFSERVER Configuration Files.

Piero Bugoni ffmpeg.devel
Fri Aug 24 08:42:22 CEST 2007

--- Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 07:45:32PM -0700, Piero Bugoni wrote:
> > Can someone please review the new post of these files?
> >
> > I posted them about a week ago in response to the previous review of them.
> > (Thanks, Diego).
>
> the qmin=qmax together with a buffer size and bitrate make no sense
> its contradicting
>
> all patches which set qmin=qmax and at the same time set a buffer size
> or bitrate are rejected, also if you want examples with contant quantizers
> then the proper thing to do is set Qscale
> though the resulting thing cannot be streamed reliably

Yet they work fine, and have been used immediately by at least half a dozen
posters in ffmpeg-user. Or, to put it more succinctly, they have stood the test
of ffmpeg-user.

Nonetheless, these files evolved as other combinations of options failed. I
never proposed that they are correct, only that they work as-is. (The
ffserver.conf that ships with ffmped does not work at all).

The "Q" was fixed for a reason. (As a way of elucidating the other values.) I
can edit the files to other working configurations, but as I have said, a
document explaining the files is necessary.

The goal was to provide a working config from which people could tweak their
way outwards, rather than a non working config from which they can only hope to
tweak their way inwards.

That being said, pick one file you reject, edit it to your liking, post it with
the appropriate command line, and I'll put it to work.

P.