[Ffmpeg-devel] overall license review - adding proper license headers

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Fri Sep 8 20:48:41 CEST 2006

Hello,
On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 04:17:47PM +0200, Benjamin Larsson wrote:
> Diego Biurrun skrev:
> >[...]
> >I'll ask you again, just in case: Are you willing to relicense the code
> >as LGPL?
> >
> >Judging from what you have written so far the answer is probably no.  In
> >this case we should go back to plain GPL on that file IMO.
> >  [...]
> >
> I dissagre to place it under GPL only, just extend the wording so it's
> less likely to missunderstand it. Otherwise you will remove a feature
> from the LGPL version of ffmpeg.

What I don't like about just rewording is that we will never be able to
make it even remotely water-proof, even more so since I don't think
anyone of us has a significant clue about the relevant laws.
What I do not like about not waterproof is that the "bad guys" can take
advantage of that while the "good guys" can not use it to the full
advantage. I really don't like to needlessly create such a situation.
Is there anyone using this who needs it in LGPL ffmpeg anyway?

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger