[Ffmpeg-devel] overall license review - adding proper license headers

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Sep 1 19:06:35 CEST 2006

Hi

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 04:13:47PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> I took the time to look through all of the files in FFmpeg and review
> the licensing conditions.  Not the most exciting thing in the world to
> do, but I figured it would be worth the while.  I've stumbled across
> some things that demand attention and/or clarification.  I'm willing to
> commit the fixes, but I'll need your opinions, comments and permission.
>

> libavcodec/fdctref.c claims all rights reserved.  This is non-free.
> Houston, we have a problem.  Where does this file come from?

some reference code, mpeg1 or 2 probably, and as already known its not
part of libavcodec just dct-test so dont compile dct-test if you dont
have an explicit written and with blood signed license from the author

> libavcodec/i386/idct_mmx.c is marked as GPL but with the exception that
> it can be used as LGPL in libavcodec.  IMO this is equivalent to
> releasing it under the LGPL in libavcodec.  The licensing note should be
> updated.

disagree, the code can either
A. be LGPL
B. be GPL with an exception that linking with LGPL lavc is ok

its not completely clear which it is

[...]

> libavutil/adler32.c says
>
>  * For conditions of distribution and use, see copyright notice in zlib.h
>
> we don't include zlib.h so the conditions should be pasted there IMO.

agree

> libavcodec/truemotion1data.h is taken from GPL code and relicensed under
> the assumption that data tables are not copyrightable.  Hmmmmm.

if essential tables are copyrightable then we can remove msmpeg4* rv* svq*
wmv* ... if they are not then GPL is as irrelevant as the license MS & co uses