[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Advocating periodic releases

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Oct 6 17:58:41 CEST 2006

Hi

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 05:09:50PM +0200, Ulrich von Zadow wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>
> >> Given that the ffmpeg project doesn't seem to be interested in releases,
> >
> > no, we lack someone doing releases ...
>
> That's very good to hear.
>
> >> I can understand the desire to be independent of the ffmpeg
> >> infrastructure. However, sourceforge has had serious stability and speed
> >
> > ffmpeg releases will be released primarely on mplayerhq and will live
> > as branches in svn (or maybe some more advanced version control system
> > at some point in the future)
>
> Since releases will require stability, which is a lot easier to attain
> when using a bug tracker: Would the ffmpeg project use such a system? As

one issue at a time, releases and a bug tracker dont depend on each other
and yes i agree that the mailinglists arent optimal for bug tracking but
that belongs to a seperate thread, otherwise we will never move forward
with the release stuff

> we all know, the current bugzilla is all but ignored. Has anyone looked
> at alternatives? Mantis (www.mantisbugtracker.com/) seems to be a clean
> implementation of the necessary features without any bloat to me...

root at mphq said mantis uses php && php programmers cant program -> secholes
-> not ok on mphq

does anyone have any non php non bugzilla suggestions?