[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Advocating periodic releases

Panagiotis Issaris takis.issaris
Fri Oct 6 16:19:17 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 03:56:33PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> [...]
> as branches in svn (or maybe some more advanced version control system
> at some point in the future)
Slightly off topic, but I really can't resist... mentioning that GIT might
be just that advanced version control system you are looking for :) Well,
seriously, I think it has a _lot_ of advantages to traditional version control
systems such as CVS or SVN. To convince some colleagues, I posted something on
my blog [1] regarding GIT.

One of the nice things is that the entire source code of the FFmpeg project, with
every revision of every file included, fits into 9MiB using GIT. And you always
have the full history available to you, meaning diffs, logs, binary searches for
bugs are always _really_ fast as they require no network access. And, in fact,
if you have no network access you can still continue hacking and committing and
diffing against older revisions.

As another example: When you clone (=checkout) the Wine repository, you get all
revisions of 13 years of Wine development on your hard disk.

There's a lot more which is really nice about GIT, but since this is off topic,
I'm trying hard not to rant on about GIT's greatness :)

With friendly regards,
Takis

[1] http://issaris.blogspot.com/2006/10/why-git.html