[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Advocating periodic releases

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Oct 6 15:56:33 CEST 2006

Hi

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 03:17:43PM +0200, Ulrich von Zadow wrote:
> Dana Hudes wrote:
> > Tim Allen wrote:
> >>
> >> Excellent. I hope you have thick skin, because while the contributors
> >> to this project may not have decided to spend their time on release
> >> management, you can be sure they have firm ideas on the way it should
> >> be done properly and will let you know if you don't meet their
> >> expectations :-).
> > I have a fairly extensive background in commercial software and software
> > engineering. I know what needs to be done. The trick is to balance
> > between defect repair and new features. People much prefer to write new
> > stuff. If they have to touch old stuff they like to rewrite it.

> >> That choice is bound to be controversial - the project left
> >> sourceforge some time ago due to dissatisfaction with the quality of
> >> its facilities. I would have thought there would be room within the
> >> existing mplayerhq infrastructure for this.
> > I don't have any particular connection to mplayerhq. I would rather try
> > to use some separate facility. I don't know what the problem was with
> > sourceforge.
>
> Given that the ffmpeg project doesn't seem to be interested in releases,

no, we lack someone doing releases ...

> I can understand the desire to be independent of the ffmpeg
> infrastructure. However, sourceforge has had serious stability and speed

ffmpeg releases will be released primarely on mplayerhq and will live
as branches in svn (or maybe some more advanced version control system
at some point in the future)

idependant releases done outside of our control and our quality standards
are perfectly ok but they are well ... independant and not ffmpeg releases