[Ffmpeg-devel] moving non-SIMD parts of libswscale to LGPL

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Thu Nov 16 11:15:02 CET 2006

M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
[snip]

> It used to be GPL.  Check out an old revision of e.g. ffmpeg.c and see
> for yourself.  The change happened in r587 on 2002-05-25.

Before my time.

>>> You will flame.
>> I would appreciate a serious answer. And what I write can hardly be
>> called flaming: no profanity, no gratuitous insults, no bad spelling...
>
> Nobody said you were flaming now, only that you would if someone
> proposed a change to GPL.  There's a difference...

The LGPL-ness of ffmpeg is a strategic issue for us, and I was part of
the team who recommended basic our multimedia technologies on
open-source software. IOW if it went GPL, 'we' would be up the creek,
and 'my' ass would be in trouble. So I would treat such a debate with
the seriousness it warrants.

>>> You will not be a part of it, that's for sure.
>> Interesting. Who will be, selected on what basis?
>
> Those who have copyrightable code in the current version.

libavutil/log.c: * Copyright (c) 2003 Michel Bardiaux

But what is the rule on how extensive a mod has to be to warrant adding
oneself to the copyright list at the top of a source?

>>> This is owned by Fabrice.
>> Facts, facts... According to http://www.gandi.net/whois :

[snip]

>>>   owner-c:
>>>     owner-name: charles maga
>
> Another of Fabrice's aliases.

I am surprised registrars accept the registering of domain names under
false identities.

Greetings,
--
Michel Bardiaux