[Ffmpeg-devel] ffpng,ffmjpeg,ffgif etc support?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Nov 6 16:35:30 CET 2006

Hi

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 10:25:05AM -0500, compn wrote:
> is there any goal to ffpng, ffmjpeg, ffgif, etc?
>
> are they supposed to be 100% and decode (maybe even encode?) all images?

of course

> i think progressive jpeg is still not supported yet.

kostya has just posted an preliminary patch for that a few hours ago

> i know one developer wanted an mplayer and ffmpeg based image viewer, since
> ffmpeg codecs are faster at decoding and mplayer video outputs are faster
> at displaying than most image viewers.
>
> there is a png file that ffpng has an error while decoding.
> i think it was created using convert from imagemagick.
>
> http://johnvansickle.com/stuff/example/frame_01.00.png
>
> Kostya had this to say:
> >That PNG is the next step - it uses 16 bits in RGBA (so it is actually RGBA64).
> >I won't have enough time to work on this so demand on ffmpeg-devel to
> >add error message on PNG decoder explaining why image is not supported.
>
> is anyone working on image samples for fixing the decoders?

not me at least not ATM, maybe ill see if i can get the progressive jpeg
stuff cleaned up and in to svn but beyond that dont expect me to do much
except patch reviewing