[Ffmpeg-devel] 4XM audio codec_tag

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Sun Nov 5 18:04:30 CET 2006

Hi

Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 05:15:49PM +0100, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
>> Diego Biurrun wrote:
>>> libavformat/4xm.c sets st->codec->codec_tag = 1 for 4XM audio.  This
>>> seems wrong, codec_id 1 would be PCM audio.  ffplay seems to be able to
>>> cope with this, but MPlayer cannot.
>>>
>>> So what codec_id could/should be used in this case?  4XMA seems to work
>>> fine, any other suggestions?  Does it have to be a TwoCC?
>> set codec_id to what it is supposed to be CODEC_ID_ADPCM_4XM, and don't
>> set codec_tag. Format that does not support fourcc should not set
>> codec_tag, anyway.
>>
>> If mplayer cannot dectect CODEC_ID_ADPCM_4XM, use a conversation table
>> between CODEC_ID_ADPCM_4XM and whatever mplayer wants to use as internal
>> fourcc.
>>
>> This is becoming more and more problematic...
>
> Not really, it's just that I want MPlayer to respect the codec_tag if
> set by the demuxer. The only part the is IMO "necessary" is removing this
> bogus codec_tag, which seems to be okay with everyone.
> Of course (mis-)using riff.c is easier, simpler, was done all the time,
> will allow files created with mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy to work in
> ffmpeg out of the box etc., but is not a necessity. Though I guess we
> will continue to suggest this way as long as the best response seems to
> me to be something like "I don't like AVI/FourCCs/TwoCCs" from maybe two
> people and no clear statement from anyone else. Or have I missed
> something?

My response is what I said earlier:
"use a conversation table between CODEC_ID_* and whatever mplayer wants
to use as internal fourcc."

You suggested that and even submitted a patch to mplayer-dev-eng. I said
that was the good way to do.

Then maybe you will think about fixing mplayer for pcm be...

SMARTJOG S.A.                                    http://www.smartjog.com
Phone: +33 1 49966312