[Ffmpeg-devel] Accepted SoC Apps

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu May 25 22:08:42 CEST 2006

Hi

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 11:39:02AM -0700, Mike Melanson wrote:
> Oded Shimon wrote:
> >On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 01:46:27PM -0400, Bobby Bingham wrote:
> >
> >>I was one of the applicants that didn't get accepted (Dirac decoder),
> >>but I'll probably be working on it anyway.  Just a heads up that I'll
> >>probably be popping up to ask questions periodically.
> >

> >I do appreciatte your work. However, is there any chance you could work on
> >Snow instead?... I have higher hopes for Snow than Dirac...
>
> We went over this in our private discussions-- *WHAT* is to be done
> regarding Snow? There is plenty to do on Dirac (like, a fresh

things to do for snow:
* multiple reference frames support
  +number of picture buffers field per keyframe
  +decode frame buffer index (into which decoding happens)
  +display frame buffer index (which frame is outputed)
  +a symbol per block to select the reference frame
  +some changes to the motion estimation code
  +some changes to the mv prediction code
* non translational motion compensation
  +estimate non translational parameters per block by using surrounding
   motion vectors
  +add a ac coded bit per block to switch between translational and non
   translational MC
  +borrow the non translational MC code from libmpcodecs/vf_perspective.c
  +some changes to the encoder to decide between translational and non t.
* trellis quantization (select quantized coefficient so as to minimize
   the ratedistrortion
* 4x4 sized block support (we have 16x16 and 8x8 currently)
* 1/8 pel motion compensation / estimation support (pretty much just
  encoder changes needed which in case of the iterative me should be
  trivial)
* 1 pass ratecontrol

Michael