[Ffmpeg-devel] Gray Scale decoding of MPEG4 data and debugging libavcodec

Matt Schuckmann mschuck
Mon May 15 20:05:06 CEST 2006

I'm using just libavcodec with my application and I'm experimenting with
various options and formats and I'm having trouble decoding gray scale
images that have been encoded with libavcodec's MPEG4 encoder using the
CODEC_GRAY_FLAG flags option.

The data appears to have encoded fine (well libavcodec didn't complain,
there is data in the file, and it's smaller than the original) but whenever
I try to decode it my app crashes on the call to avcodec_decode_video().

Are there any special options or formats I need to set to make this work
(other than CODEC_GRAY_FLAG)?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

This brings up another question; can anyone give me some guidance on how to
debug libavcodec in a windows environment? The best solution would be able
to debug it directly from MSVC++ .NET 2003 since that's my current working
environment but I'm not totally opposed something else.

Thanks

Matt Schuckmann