[Ffmpeg-devel] movenc.c ipod h264 suggested change

Jason Millard jsm174
Thu Mar 30 18:03:13 CEST 2006

Okay, I finally think I understand what is going on and I think I
understand the previous emails.

I've been trying to remux ffmpeg encoded videos using mp4creator for
the ipod. (This was before Apple released 1.1.1 firmware).

Anyway, with the hard-coded 77->66 and 30->13 changes to movenc.c,
everytime I would remux the video, the profile would end up
Baseline at 5.1. (Even though I knew it was Baseline at 1.3)

I started examined the avcC tags using a hex editor. Now I understand,
that making changes directly to movenc.c only change the profile and
level in the container. Then x264 uses its own default values.

When I modified movenc.c to fetch track->enc->profile and
track->enc->level and then passed them in on the command line, the
mp4creator remuxing worked fine, because just like BOND's email
stated, x264 uses those values if provided.

So back to the other emails

>> Maybe there is an interface to x264 for retrieving profile and level
>> indication ?

>Hmm... the x264 api currently has no way to retrieve global info from the
>encoder. I suppose I could write profile back into param_t after deriving
>it from the other settings. But that doesn't affect the decision for
>ffmpeg's user interface, it just means ffmpeg could tell you if you
>picked incompatible settings.

So now that we know custom values can be shared, how do we share default values?

Thanks,
-- Jason