[Ffmpeg-devel] New Video Codec for low grunt embedded CPU's

Alex Beregszaszi alex
Tue Mar 21 13:09:04 CET 2006

Hi,

> >Please make it LGPL so it can be enabled by the default distribution in
> >FFmpeg. As FFmpeg is licensed under LGPL, while some codecs are GPL,
> >which are only enabled in case of the user requests it with --enable-gpl
> >while configuring.
> >

> The problem is if I use NRV it has to be GPL, because NRV is GPL.

You mean LZO? NRV is like ZIP (container+compressor), while it uses LZO
by default. But I could be mistaken. And we have an LZO decompressor.
The encoder being GPL is not a problem, but the decoder should be LGPL
if you want to get it widespread :)

Also note that we ate FFmpeg are working at "reimplementing the wheel",
that is, rewriting everything from scratch, reusing as much code as
possible from other parts of the source, thus making the whole thing a
bit better: wheel v2.

At least thats my motto.

Alex Beregszaszi	email: alex at fsn.hu
Free Software Network	cell: +36 70 3144424