consumers slow to upgrade to HDTV (was: Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] [ bug ] converting png to dv gives solid black )

Jeff Clagg snacky
Wed Mar 15 15:16:25 CET 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 05:35:43PM +0000, Dieter wrote:
> Which I'm sure has nothing to do with the difficulty of finding a
> display that actually resolves 1920x1080, the cost of such a display
> if you can find one, and the artifacts and other problems of many of
> the newer display technologies.

This actually isn't the issue at all. Any decent ATSC or DVB receiver
will output in various formats, usually including some standard-def
formats. I have yet to encounter any receiver that doesn't have composite
(RCA) output, for instance. And this includes very inexpensive receivers.

I think at a minimum, consumers should expect a receiver to be able to
output to their standard def TV using either component (RGB in europe)
or composite/S-video.