OT - video connectors (was: Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] [ bug ] converting png to dv gives solid black )

Erik Slagter erik
Wed Mar 15 14:14:51 CET 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 12:59 +0000, Cian Duffy wrote:
> > Hmmm, what would you want to do with more RGB signals?
>
> High quality recording. That is, assuming your STB doesn't have a hard drive
> or DVD recorder built in.

Nah, I don't think this is the way to go. Many satellite STB already
have a harddisk or empty slot for a harddisk. Recording from RGB signal
would imply decoding, conversion to analogue, conversion to digital and
then another encoding step. So I don't think it's interesting.

FWIW I have two sat boxes that run linux and have their root mounted
from a server. So they do not have a harddisk, yet they record to
harddisk. IMHO this is the optimal solution, although I could imagine it
might be a little too complex for most customers.