[Ffmpeg-devel] [ bug ] converting png to dv gives solid black

Gary Corcoran gcorcoran
Wed Mar 15 00:01:47 CET 2006

Mike Melanson wrote:
> Steve Lhomme wrote:
>> IIRC analog broadcasting will stop in the USA in 2012 (or something
>> like that).
>
>     I thought the date was sooner than that.

Yes, it is.

> But it doesn't matter because the date keeps getting pushed back.

It was supposed to happen when at least 85% of the people had HDTV tuners.
But not any more.  Congress recently passed a bill fixing the date at sometime
in early 2009 (February,March,April, I don't recall what they finally agreed
on).

> Wouldn't you know, those
> darn consumers just don't care about adopting better TV technologies (I
> count myself among their ranks).

Yeah, we darn consumers taking our time to upgrade are the reason Congress
decided to put a hard deadline.  They want the billions of dollars they think
they're gonna get by auctioning the freed-up frequencies of analog broadcasting.
What bugs me is that even if they get the billions of dollars, you _know_ who
will be paying those billions in the end.  Yep, all us consumers.  Plus if
you depend on over-the-air broadcasts for your TV, as a lot of poorer people do,
you'll be forced to buy an HDTV tuner.  I can't wait to hear the reactions
when millions of people's TV sets suddenly stop working.  (of course if you're
on a cable or satellite system you won't notice)

Gary