[Ffmpeg-devel] [ bug ] converting png to dv gives solid black

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Mar 13 14:11:01 CET 2006

Hi

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 01:32:07PM +0100, Erik Slagter wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 15:06 -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> > > Besides the fact that either 30000/1001 and 30001/1001 are completely
> > > stupid from a design point of view,
> >
> > No they're not. Why don't you learn why the number is 1000/1001 (and
> > this an _exact_ 1000/1001, not a nice approximation of some physical
> > quantity)
>
> WTF are you talking about. Have you ever seen me using either 30 or
> 29.97 fps?
>
> > by reading the history of NTSC rather than making ignorant
> > comments?
>
> Actually I DO know something of the history of NTSC and this ignorant
> guy can tell you that:
>
>  - NTSC has nothing to do with frame rates
>  - way back (indeed history) there was a reason for this stupid frame
> rate; there is no excuse for using it in digital video though,
> especially not in HD, same goes for interlacing.
>
> I really hope this silly technical artifact dies very soon, as will NTSC
> (and PAL and SECAM).

iam surely in favor of having */1001 and interlacing killed but for
existing videos which have been sampled at */1001 interlaced theres
no choice, you cant losslessly convert them to progressive integer fps

Michael