[Ffmpeg-devel] libswscale merged into the FFmpeg repository

Rich Felker dalias
Fri Jul 28 18:53:24 CEST 2006

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 12:39:35AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Speaking of "even with CVS this was possible" is nonsense.  As a
> > sideeffect of CVS having no notion of repository-wide revision numbers
> > it's possible to sneak RCS files into a repository and CVS will not
> > notice that they were not there before.  Still what you get is
> > inconsistent.  Checkouts from earlier dates will suddenly contain files
> > that were not present at the time, but were smuggled into the repository
> > later on.
>
> in cvs moving files is consistent, consistent here means not contradicting
> itself, having a unused and not compiled file in the past is not inconsistant
> and isnt a real problem, sure its not correct and it doesnt match the real
> past but i see no inconsistancy in it ...

Not compiled is only as a result of the bloated Makefiles. e.g. in my
libc project, the makefiles never contain any lists of files to
compile, they just auto-grab all the .c files from the relevant
directories. So the "consistency" you speak of is dependent on the
style of the makefiles.

> > What about the repository I created with libswscale added?  If we adjust
> > the dates we could possibly create an acceptable solution...
>
> the resulting repository will be inconsistant wont it?
> inconsistant here means that theres a file with revision R and date D and
> one with revision r and date d and R>r && D<d
>
> thats not something i can accept unless i have a some proof that this is
> allowed in svn if not theres a good chance it will cause problems in the
> future and fixing them could be a nightmare ...

Agree.

Rich