[Ffmpeg-devel] libswscale merged into the FFmpeg repository

Diego Biurrun diego
Fri Jul 28 02:28:41 CEST 2006

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 12:39:35AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 11:42:39PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> > > its not possible to move libswscale from the mplayer repository to the
> > > ffmpeg repository while preserving history completly and consistently,
> > > svn does not support this so the only solution is to leave libswscale
> > > in mplayers repository or create a new repository which of course would
> > > be alot of work for everyone and which would cause some troubble for
> > > everyone who has a modified ffmpeg source tree ...
> >
> > Hardly a lot of trouble:
> >
> > ~/ffmpeg-checkout_old$ svn diff > ../local_changes.diff
> > ~/ffmpeg-checkout_old$ cd ~/ffmpeg-checkout_new
> > ~/ffmpeg-checkout_new$ patch -p0 -i ../local_changes.diff
>
> and if the patch doesnt apply cleanly? or if some specific files
> arent at the latest revision maybe with half of the changes in svn already?

Then copy over the files or checkout the files at the correct revision
so that the patch applies.  Sure, it's a bit more work, but nothing out
of the ordinary for such a transition I would say.

> (both where true for me for the cvs->svn move and iam sure for many others
> too)

I had to port over a couple of changes as well, but I did not find it
quite as troublesome...

> > > for the case of a new repository we could
> > > A. switch back to cvs (all problems solved except that roots at mphq will
> > >    kill me)
> > > B. put mplayer and ffmpeg in a single repository so moves become possible
> > > C. switch to some entirely different version control system
> > > D. just fix this single move and goto 1 for the next time we want to move
> > >    something
> >
> > "goto 1" meaning here?
>
> next time we move somthing between mplayer and ffmpeg we can restart this
> disscussion from the begin again as the same problem will hit us

Well, it's not like these things happen twice a month..

> > What about the repository I created with libswscale added?  If we adjust
> > the dates we could possibly create an acceptable solution...
>
> the resulting repository will be inconsistant wont it?
> inconsistant here means that theres a file with revision R and date D and
> one with revision r and date d and R>r && D<d

Yes, this is the case in the repo I created and by adjusting the dates I
meant adding the revisions under fake new dates.

Diego