[Ffmpeg-devel] MP4 file that does not play with ffmpeg or MPlayer

The Wanderer inverseparadox
Fri Jan 27 22:39:42 CET 2006

Ronen Mizrahi wrote:

> The following files was reported to us by a user, we tested it with
> recent version of MPlayer and ffmpeg. MPlayer tries to use lavf, lavf
> says that no audio or video headers found. According to the user
> that reported it, it was grabbed with the Qtec s100 phone/pda
> (http://www.qtek.ch/DescriptionQtekS100FR.htm) and it works in Real
> Player.
>
> The file can be downloaded from http://www.cwi.nl/~boncz/test.mp4
> <http://www.cwi.nl/%7Eboncz/test.mp4>
>
> Here is what MPlayer says:
> ====================
> MPlayer dev-CVS-050928-16:38-3.4.2 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
> CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Xeon/Celeron Foster (Family: 8, Stepping: 9)
> Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
> Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
> To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with
> --disable-runtime-cpudetection.
>
> c:/windows/fonts/arial.ttf doesn't look like a font description, ignoring.
> Cannot load font: c:/windows/fonts/arial.ttf
> Playing d:\testmedia\test.mp4.
> ISO: File Type Major Brand: 3GPP Profile 4
> ISO: File Type Major Brand: 3GPP Profile 4
> ID_VIDEO_ID=0
> libavformat file format detected.
> LAVF: no audio or video headers found - broken file?
>

> Exiting... (End of file)

I get

========
MPlayer dev-CVS-060125-05:13-4.0.3 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Sempron/Athlon MP/XP Thoroughbred; Duron
Applebred (
Family: 6, Stepping: 0)
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE

Playing test.mp4.
ISO: File Type Major Brand: 3GPP Profile 4
ISO: File Type Major Brand: 3GPP Profile 4
RAWDV file format detected.
VIDEO:  [DVSD]  720x480  24bpp  29.970 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
dvdsublang...test en
dvdsublang...test en
Opening audio decoder: [libdv] Raw DV Audio Decoder
Unknown/missing audio format -> no sound
ADecoder init failed :(
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
Cannot find codec 'dvaudio' in libavcodec...
ADecoder init failed :(
ADecoder init failed :(
Cannot find codec for audio format 0x56444152.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!
Trying to force video codec driver family ffmpeg...
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffdv] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg DV decoder)
Audio: no sound
Starting playback...
VDec: vo config request - 720 x 480 (preferred colorspace: Planar 411P)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
VDec: using Planar 411P as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.

SwScaler: BICUBIC scaler, from Planar 411P to Planar YV12 using MMX2
VO: [xv] 720x480 => 720x480 Planar YV12
AC EOB marker is absent pos=112
========

(and that last line repeats, with varying values for pos, enough times
to fill a ~160K text file).

The video displays as simply a hash of large red, green and blue
"pixels". Obviously this is still incorrect, but it is at least
something different from what has been mentioned so far, which is why
I'm posting this.

The above is with the "vfm=ffmpeg," option in my config file. If I
remove that, instead of [ffmpeg] and then [ffdv] the only indication of
codec is given as [dshow]. The only apparently notable change to the
output (ignoring the different format of the text produced) is in the
colorspace received by the decoder; the video output does not appear to
change at all.

(For the record, none of my other config options have any bearing on
decoding or demuxing - just on interface, processing, and output.)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.