[Ffmpeg-devel] Bizarre build problem of the day

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev
Fri Feb 24 09:06:46 CET 2006

2006/2/24, William Beebe <wbeebe at gmail.com>:
> Yes, I read that article from another link. I have no problem with it.
> Software licensing either tells you up front that you can't copy and
> redistribute it (Microsoft, Adobe, etc), or that you can (Linux,
> FireFox, etc). Based on that simple binary rule, you can stay out of
> trouble... at least in most parts of the world.

2006/2/24, William Beebe <wbeebe at gmail.com>:
> No. As I stated earlier, it only occurs at the tail end of
> configuration. After a successful configuration it builds, links, and
> runs just fine.

That was joke (but under windows you may never know). The point is
that if it hangs when writing files, is totally unrelated to some
camera services. The first thing that comes into my mind is that it
probably have rooted the kernel to intercept file operations. This is
what Sony rootkit does in order to hide the DRM part, and it hides
everything that starts with $SYS$. Trashing your system despite any
(in)validity of any licenses.

If you think that the problem is in configure you can run it this way:
   bash -x ./configure
this way you will see every executed line and you can get what is
executed when it hangs.

To monitor you system you can use some of the http://sysinternals.com
programs. These are from same people that found what Sony rootkit
does.