[Ffmpeg-devel] Differences between mencoder and ffmpegwhenencoding using x264

Erik Slagter erik
Tue Feb 21 12:16:55 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 12:06 +0100, Luca Abeni wrote:
> Same for the "-loop" option: if it is not selected, libavcodec/x264.c
> should complain (maybe printing a warning like "WARNING: In-Loop
> Deblocking filter not selected, so good quality cannot be expected"), so
> that I know that I'm doing something wrong... This will surely save a
> lot of time to future users :)

I think it's more sane to enable it by default, leaving the user the
option to disable it. This means this should actually be possible, I
don't know from the top of my head whether -loop requires an argument.
IMHO it should. Just like -bframes that complains if it is supplied a
value "0" while this could be a very valid value if the default for a
certain codec (e.g. h264) is non-zero.

If there are no objections I volunteer to patch these two.